The Midway Ford Company has been family owned since June 1, 1954. It was founded by Harold J. Slawik, a lifetime resident of St. Paul, who was born February 16th, 1901. During his high school years at Mechanic Arts, Harold operated a bicycle sales and repair shop. Harold quickly moved his focus to the automotive business. In 1938, Harold married Marie O’Brien, also a lifetime resident of St. Paul. She worked with Harold at his several automobile businesses, including Slawik Motors, Desoto, Plymouth and finally, Midway Ford at Fairview and University Avenues in St. Paul. During the late ’50′s and ’60′s, Harold and Marie enjoyed considerable success with their Midway Ford Dealership. They also found time to build the Har-Mar Shopping Center in Roseville – the name comes from the first three letters of Harold and Marie. Sadly, Harold died in 1963, just before the shopping center opened.
Marie Slawik and her son Jerry Slawik carried on the Ford dealership, which was moved to its present location at 2777 Snelling Avenue N., Roseville in 1977. Edward J. Tichenor, a teacher and graduate student, married Mary Slawik, and worked alongside his brother-in-law, Jerry, in managing the dealership. In the mid-1970’s, Jerry decided to focus all his attention on the family real estate and leasing business and sold his shares of stock in Midway Ford Company to Edward. Ed and his sons, John and David, continue to work at and manage the dealership, and with their children have now become a fourth generation family-owned business. Midway Ford earned its 50th Year Ford Dealer Plaque from Ford Motor Company in June of 2004. Sadly, on December 27th, 1989, Marie O’Brien passed away after a long battle with cancer, leaving behind 10 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren. To avoid confusion about its location, the dealership is now known as Roseville Midway Ford.
All photos are courtesy of the Slawik and Tichenor Families.